Pursuing Peace Day 7

Pursuing peace means creating an environment that allows for rest. That may mean walking away from scheduling things, it may mean turning on music to work by, or turning it off. Sometimes that may mean simply straightening an area you cannot change much, like a hospital room, putting things in a tote as opposed to on the side table.  At home that may mean looking around and seeing what is simply taking up space.  We did that this week and will do it many more times for a few weeks (maybe months or years).  There are things in our home we keep because we haven't tossed them yet, or they were given to us from so and so, or we spent money on them, or one hundred other guilt, stress, or energy absorbing reasons that in the big picture take away our peace.  In our case 4 bags went to the curb, 3 pieces of furniture were given away and a few boxes and bags of things are going to the local thrift store as a donation.
It feels good to know that small steps to clear unnecessary items from a room have begun to create peace in our environment too!  As I cleared things that perhaps would have been kept for all the wrong reasons, I did take a picture of a couple, but in general, I just game myself permission to not keep things that had produced negative or bad memories....or were simply not me.  We live in a small home, we are a close knit family, we are all working on wearing, keeping, and using only items that bring joy or function or both to our lives. Pursuing peace....becoming good stewards of what we have, sharing with others what we do not use or use to the extent they will be by another.
 
P.S.  The Declutter project took 25 minutes. T w e n t y -f i v e minutes to move the furniture to the curb, gather the obviously unneeded items, call the pick up center, and enjoy the progress as a family. A GREAT way to begin family night!

7 comments:

Diane said...

Love that idea, creating peace by controlling clutter. I moved ten days ago, and for the first five days, the living room held only the furniture and the lamps - it looked so restful. I need to figure out how to keep it that way, and not clutter it up with things that don't promote peace or joy.

Stopping by for "coffee" today!

Diane said...

Love that idea, creating peace by controlling clutter. I moved ten days ago, and for the first five days, the living room held only the furniture and the lamps - it looked so restful. I need to figure out how to keep it that way, and not clutter it up with things that don't promote peace or joy.

Stopping by for "coffee" today!

Alicia said...

I agree with you that decluttering creates a peaceful environment. Clutter and unnecessary "stuff" can really get in the way and getting rid of it is a way to bless others that may need the item. Have a great weekend

Nikki said...

That's impressive that it only took 25 minutes! I did the same thing a few weeks ago (at least, tried to). I got rather distracted so it took awhile, but it felt so nice (and peaceful) to get some of the clutter out.

mholgate said...

Sweetie, I'm so glad that you posted for coffee on Friday. I must not have subscribed to your new web site when you did the change-over. I missed your thoughtful posts, but now I know where to find you! Thanks for the compliment via e-mail, btw. I am glad that my writing can encourage someone. :)

Blessings!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

I need to do this today. And since it's raining out, there's no better time. =)

Kathleen T. Jaeger said...

what good news that your decluttering project only took 25 minutes...there's hope!! And really it is always an on-going process and every chunk decluttered helps.