For many years this time of year was fraught with workshops, moving classrooms, and expectancy. I was a public school or university teacher for over two decades. For me an empty classroom brought on the best kind of excitement. A chance to nest the area, to make ready a place that encouraged and was spruced up for my students. I loved setting up centers for living and learning. A comfortable set of chairs for discussion, always a good piece of carpet for gathering us all on the floor despite the age I taught. Folks were always so surprised to see high school students in circle time, yet it was some of the best dialogues we had. Each year I always set up living terrariums and aquariums to inspire us to simply see a world different from our own. We are all but small creatures in someone else's big world.

This Fall we begin another classroom. One that involves teaching our fifteen year old at home, enjoying the wonders of a newborn arriving next week for our 21 year old, teaching for others in borrowed classrooms for workshops and teaching ourselves the value of being thankful for every thing that passes before us. BasicsMatter.com is coming on, another learning ground for helping folks put first things first in their lives. The same excitement exists....I love all things fresh and ready myself to enter a new type of classroom. One that shares the love of learning with others in mothering, in parenting, and in business...
after all teachers teach...and the best ones keep learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment